The festival of Uttarayan is for the enjoyment and fun of the Patangarasikas. But for the animals and birds, this festival brings tears. Hundreds of birds are injured every year by kite strings. The same thing happened this time too. On the day of Makar Sankranti, more than 500 birds were injured in Ahmedabad itself, but the entire team was ready under the compassion campaign run by the government. As soon as information was received from somewhere that the bird was injured at such a place, the team immediately reached there and treated the bird immediately. The highest number of pigeons were rescued and treated in Ahmedabad.
NGO organizes two day camp near Navyug School in Naroda
An NGO named Samvada Birds and Animals Helpline in New Naroda area of Ahmedabad has organized a two day camp for treatment and rescue of birds at Navyug School on 14-15 January. Komal Mistry, volunteer of the NGO said, “Many birds get injured during Uttarayan festival, so we have set up a bird treatment camp, in which more than 155 birds were treated and rescued on the day of Uttarayan.” The birds were treated and rescued by various volunteers. 12 doctors and over 85 volunteers are involved in the two-day camp.
fire brigade rescued 35 birds
A total of 35 birds were rescued by Ahmedabad Fire Brigade on the day of Uttarayan and 14 birds till 10 am today. After the kite is cut, the birds get stuck in the tree due to the string stuck on the trees and are unable to come out later. So the local people also rescued them with the help of fire brigade. Around 132 birds were also saved in Ahmedabad city by the Government’s Animal Helpline 1962.
Bird injured by Chinese rope
For the past several years, animal life care organization is organizing camps under the Save Birds campaign in the Kot area. Vijay Dabhi says that on the day of Uttarayan we got 17 calls and most of them were about pigeon getting injured. Most of the birds have been injured by the Chinese manja. A rare nakato bird has also been seriously injured by a Chinese string. She was treated by a vet from Animal Life Care and has been admitted to Forest Hospital for further treatment.