The fourth wave of the epidemic from Omicron in Africa is now stopping after six weeks: WHO

Mail Us For Business inquiry
- Advertisement -

The World Health Organization (WHO) has said that the fourth wave of the new form of corona virus infection in Africa from Omicron seems to be stopping. After a spurt in cases for six weeks, they started declining.

The first case of Omicron was reported in South Africa on 24 November. The WHO declared it a worrying form of infection on 26 November. Dr. Matshidishon Moeti, WHO’s regional director for Africa, said: “Preliminary assessments indicate that the fourth wave in Africa is rapidly declining and cases are declining. Strong measures are still needed in Africa to tackle the pandemic, and that is a fast-paced vaccination campaign. The next wave may not be light.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the WHO said, “The fourth wave from Omicron in Africa, after a six-week boom, has now subsided and has become the shortest wave ever recorded on the continent.” The cases here have crossed 10 million.” WHO Director-General Dros Adhanom Ghebreyesus expressed concern that even though more than 9.4 billion vaccine doses have been given globally, 90 countries have completed their 40 by the end of last year. percent of the population has not been vaccinated, and 36 of those countries have yet to vaccinate 10 percent of their population. He said more than 85 percent of Africa’s population is yet to receive the first dose of the vaccine. The Director-General of WHO said, “If we do not work together towards bridging this gap, then we will not be able to put an end to the epidemic.”

.

- Advertisement -
Mail Us For  DMCA / Credit  Notice

Recent Articles

Stay on top - Get the daily news in your inbox

Related Stories